Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Happy 1st Birthday G & R


Today our girls celebrated turning one. Well, we celebrated, and to them it was just another day. A day where Mommy and Daddy were a bit more silly, Mommy cried and looked a lot of photos, there were a lot of songs and teaching of the number "1". I can remember the day of their birth like it was yesterday, yet I can not believe how fast this year has gone by.

It was a year of ups and downs, of moments where I didn't think I would ever learn to feed my children through breastfeeding, have them go to sleep on their own or sleep through the night ourselves. Now breastfeeding is done with ease (and we are going to continue until the girls or mommy is ready to wean), sleep is a regular, predictable part of our lives and we happily sleep through the night.

The year has taught me a lot about myself; as a mother and a woman. It has taught me a lot about my relationship with my husband. I have realized who my true friends are and who I am fortunate to have in my life. This one was one of the harder lessons; people I would have called friends before the girls arrived are now acquaintances in my life. Which I am ok with, it just took a bit of learning on my part. I've learned to change my expectations of myself and of the world around me.

The biggest ah ha I have had has been how much I love my two little humans. I knew I would love them and I already felt I knew them before they were in my arms. I was not prepared for the immense, numbing at times, love. I still am in disbelief at times that I am a mother, and a mother to two beautiful girls. I feel complete, have a new perspective and a new outlook.

My hope for the girls is that they can continue to grow and make the world a better place that it was simply by being in it and living life to the best of their abilities.

One of our favorite books to read, is On the Day You Were Born, written and illustrated by Debra Frasier. The lyric text welcomes each child to the every day miracles of planet Earth – the sun, moon, North Star, wind, rain, tides and the circle of people awaiting each child. The line that brings tears to my eyes with each read sums up the feelings of every day, but especially as we celebrate their first birthday.

.....And as they held you close they whispered in your open, curving ear," We are so glad you've come!"

Thank you my sweet girls....looking forward to many more celebrations in the years ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment